Let me first start by saying that I have desperately been avoiding this issue. However, it seems to keep popping up everywhere, including my own home. My six year old wants to know where babies come from and how any human being could have eight! I thought I had taken care of this conversation for at least another couple of years, but with OctoMom being covered on every news outlet there is no escape. So, begins my journey. How do I teach with all clarity and accuracy about sex? What is age appropriate? How much is too much? Should boys and girls be handled differently?
Sometimes as parents we make the mistake of putting off questions. When we do we might think that we’ve “successfully avoided” the issue. Instead, we are teaching our children that you are not a good sources of information. They will go elsewhere. Instead, we should “take advantage of the opportunities our children give us to provide correct answers.”
Our goals as Christian parents should be, first, to model healthy, biblical sexuality (in our actions and attitudes), second, to educate about healthy, biblical sexuality (the physical, spiritual, and emotional dimensions), and finally, to help our children to internalize healthy and biblical attitudes and boundaries with their own sexuality.
I plan to read the following selections and share the information and insight with you. Please share any experiences that you have had in this area.
|God’s Design for Sex Series, Book 1: The Story of Me, Revised
By Stan Jones & Brenna Jones / NAV Press
|Questions Kids Ask about Sex: Honest Answers for Every Age
By J. Thomas Fitch, M.D., with Melissa R. Cox / Revell
|Teaching Your Children Healthy Sexuality–Parent/Child Kit
By Jim Burns / Bethany House
- Related Blogs on Christianity
- The Religulous Effect of Non-Negotiable Discipleship | Homebrewed …
- What is the more violent religion Islam or Christianity …
- Blair: “people should be proud of their Christianity and able to …
- Christianity – Gospel of The Second Chance | TURN BACK TO GOD
- BIG JESUS is Watching You? Is Christianity a Form of …
- Related Blogs on Parenting
- Review: Guide to Pirate Parenting | Reviews | Babies Online The Blog
- “Just Say No” To These Three Enemies Of Successfully Parenting …
- Bad parenting « (not to be confused with) The Truth
- Coloring Inside the Lines « SCIENCE-BASED PARENTING
- Related Blogs on Sex Education
- ICUUW Wrap-Up and International Sex Education | Adolescent …